On June 4, 2015, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh will mark the 125th anniversary of admitting its first young patient.
From its beginning, Children’s Hospital has been a beacon of hope to children and families in Western Pennsylvania. A place of compassion and care for every child in need, regardless of religion, race, or ability to pay.
Today, this beacon of hope shines as Children’s Hospital cares for children and families regionally, nationally, and internationally. A place where experts treat rare diseases, define new standards of care, pioneer protocols, and provide family-centered services in a world-class environment.
This beacon will continue to illuminate child health care for the next 125 years. A place that will never stop searching for cures, treatments, and therapies. A place built and sustained by this generous community.
You would recognize the names of many of the original board members of Children’s Hospital: Frick, Carnegie, McCune, and Mellon.
What is interesting is the fact that this group of individuals did not need a hospital for their children.
Instead they built this hospital for the community with the belief that every child was their responsibility, and they backed it up with a mission that allowed access to ALL children, regardless of race, religion, or ability to pay.
Here for Every Child
- Children’s cares for children and families from every state and many countries
- Families bypass their own children’s hospital to get care that they can get nowhere else
- Children’s is a place where experts treat rare diseases, define new standards of care, pioneer protocols, and provide family-centered services in a world-class environment
- Our services go beyond our four walls to other parts of the country and the world
- Partnerships with hospitals in Tampa, Akron, Charlottesville, and throughout South America, the Middle East and Europe
- By sharing our outcomes data openly, we will improve care in hospitals around the world
- Not only do we attract patients from around the globe, but the research work of our physician-scientists improves care wherever pediatricians practice.
125th Anniversary Launch Event
|Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh history wall, located on third floor of the hospital.|
Community Launch Event
- Scheduled for June 4, 2015, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Media launch and public kickoff to the 125th Anniversary year
- Held at Children’s Hospital Eat’n Park Atrium
- Invitations to media, patient families, hospital staff, and donors
125th Anniversary Children’s Story Booth
|Alessandra, Intracranial Hemorrhage survivor and Children’s Hospital Brain Care Institute Patient|
An interactive story booth used at community events, in schools, at Foundation events, and in hospital.
Manned by a street team of Children’s ambassadors, this travelling video booth includes:
- National and local celebrities sharing their stories and encouraging others to do so
- Share stories that celebrate childhood
- Share stories that engage and motivate
- Link to a microsite destination
- Media partnership with KDKA
- High level of exposure at external events throughout the region
125th Anniversary Celebration Gala
- The Signature fundraising event of the 125th Anniversary
- Friday, Oct. 2, 2015
- David L. Lawrence Convention Center
- Black-tie event to benefit Center for Rare Disease Therapy
- 1,000 anticipated guests
- Celebrate the community support that has made Children’s Hospital a treasured resource for families searching for cures and treatments
- Honor philanthropists who have the paved the way for generations to come:
- Mr. John G. Rangos Sr.
Legacy of Hope
- Eat’n Park Hospitality Group
- Howard Hanna Real Estate Services
Beacons of Hope
- Mr. John G. Rangos Sr.
125th Anniversary Culminating Event
- Scheduled for June 2016
- Serves as the close to the 125th Anniversary year
- Community-wide event
- Patient family reunion
- Employee volunteer opportunities
- Outdoor setting, fireworks, etc.